The nomination period for the LSS awards takes place for a week in March of each year, during this period nominate your peers using this form.
The Terry J. Wuester Award: Is presented every year to a member of the faculty who has exhibited a commitment to student learning and development both inside and outside the classroom, as determined by a vote of the graduating class.
- 2019: Elizabeth Adjin-Tettey
- 2018: Michael Litchfield
- 2017: Michelle Lawrence
- 2016: Michelle Lawrence
- 2015: Gillian Calder
- 2014: Hamar Foster
- 2013: Gillian Calder
- 2012: Glen Gallins
The John McLaren Award: Is presented every year to a member of the staff who has demonstrated an exceptional commitment to students and student initiatives within the law school, as determined by a vote of the graduating class.
- 2019: Jordan Forbes
- 2018: Cheryl Lawrence
- 2017: Jordan Forbes
- 2016: Jordan Forbes
- 2015: Yvonne Lawson
- 2014: Yvonne Lawson
- 2013: Karen Crawford
- 2012: Yvonne Lawson
First Year Class Teaching Award: Is presented annually to a professor who, in the opinion of the 1L class, has made a special contribution to legal education through effective and engaging classroom teaching and a demonstrated commitment to assisting and supporting the academic work of first year students.
- 2020: Andrew Newcombe, Supriya Routh and Michael Litchfield
- 2019: Sarah Morales
- 2018: Asad Kiyani
- 2017: Pooja Parmar
- 2016: Carol Liao
- 2015: Andrew Newcombe
- 2014: Ryan Alford
- 2013: Jamie Cassels
- 2012: Gillian Calder & Gerry Ferguson
Adjunct Professor Award: Presented each year to the adjunct professor who has contributed the most to the students of UVic Law. Adjunct professors play an important role in bridging the gap between legal education and practice by providing the benefit of their hands on experience to students in a classroom format.
- 2020: Laura Johnston
- 2019: Joel and Jeff Oliphant
- 2018: Paul Pearson
Diana Priestly Award: Given to a third year student who has demonstrated outstanding service to the Faculty of Law over their entire law school career.
- 2020: Romi Laskin
- 2019: Debbie Preston
- 2018: Ian Gauthier
- 2017: Janessa Mason
- 2016: Sandy Town
- 2015: John Bullock
- 2014: Yianni Pappas-Acreman
- 2013: Rebecca Cynader
- 2012: Miriam Isman
F. Murray Fraser Award: This award is presented to a third year student who has made an outstanding contribution to life at the law school during their final year.
- 2020: Joannie Fu
- 2019: Caroline Grady
- 2018: William McClary
- 2017: Radu Popescu
- 2016: Ivelina Ivanova
- 2015: Michael Williams
- 2014: Carlie Cromlish
- 2013: Julie DeWolf
- 2012: Meaghan McWhinnie
Bronze Tie Award: Given to a student who has fostered, maintained and strengthened ties between the law school and the legal community. The award is presented to the student who has best promoted “ties” between the law school and the community.
- 2020: Samrah Mian
- 2019: Brian Reigh
- 2018: Debbie Preston, Veronica Martisius, & Sheyenne Spence
- 2017: Dan Blumenkrans & Bronwen Black
- 2016: Maggie House
- 2015: Noah Ross
- 2014: Hanna Davis & James Bagan
- 2013: Stuart McAlister
- 2012: Emily Dixon
The Josef Zagrodney Award: This award is presented annually to a student that fosters genuine friendships and exemplifies an enthusiasm for learning in all aspects of life.
- 2020: Katie Lay
- 2019: Jeeti Bhupal and Linette Lubke
Unsung Hero: This award is presented to a student or students who has/have worked tirelessly to better the law school community.
- 2020: Camille Malone
- 2019: Julia Genovese
- 2018: Zach Burrill & Kendra Marks
- 2017: Clay Gray
- 2016: Andie Britton-Foster
- 2015: Erin Gray & Renata Colewell
- 2014: Glynnis Morgan
- 2013: Carlie Cromlish & Michael Gerstein
- 2012: Ainsley MacCallum & Amber Hieb
Keanu Reeves Award: This award is presented to the most inspired dramatic or comedic performance. Given to a specific performance at an LSS event.
- 2020: Joshua Regnier
- 2019: Kristen Lewis
- 2018: Francesca Hannan
- 2017: Kelly LeVann
- 2016: Janessa Mason
- 2015: Joe Mooney
- 2014: ‘Library Love’
- 2013: Julie DeWolf, Cassidy Thomson & Alix Stoicheff
- 2012: Sam Jaworsky, Stefan Whitman & Taylor Buckley
Hall of Pain Award: This award is presented to the student who has shown the most “personal sacrifice” in UVic Law’s pursuit of athletic excellence.
- 2020: Saul Brown, Dustin Fox, Rebecca Bryan and Rebekah Smith
- 2019: Sebastian Maturana
- 2018: Emily Pitre
- 2017: Connor Wear & Emily Dyck
- 2016: Simon Pinsky
- 2015: Bryn Green
- 2014: Franco Silletta
- 2013: Mike Rawluk
- 2012: Burke Vindevoghel
Leonardo Da Vinci Award: This award is presented to the club executive that ran the most creative, innovative, successful event of the year. The award is presented to the executive of the club as a whole.
- 2020: UVic South Asian Law Students’ Association (SALSA)
- 2019: Indigenous Legal Perspectives Committee
- 2018: ILSA
- 2017: Women in Law Panel & Trivia Nights (Radu Popescu)
- 2016: Trivia Nights (Radu Popescu)
- 2015: Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women Panel Organizers
- 2014: Community Conference Committee
- 2013: Community Conference Committee
- 2012: Community Conference Committee
Roadhouse Award: This award is presented to the host/ess or household who had the best party of the year.
- 2020: Sam Bhattacharjee
- 2019: Emily Amirkhani and Makaela Peters
- 2018: Robyn Finley/RonRon/Cabins
- 2017: Bay St Armoury
- 2016: Foul Bay House
- 2015: Steve Whibbs
- 2014: Dan Jackson & Jason Newton
- 2013: Cadboro Bay House
- 2012: Fernwood House
Newbies Award: This award is presented to a first-year student who has made an outstanding contribution to the law school for the benefit of other first-year students.
- 2020: Aman Kular and Raumina Rezai
- 2019: Maddie Lusk
- 2018: Sarah Robinson
- 2017: Debbie Preston
- 2016: Ian Gauthier
- 2015: Niles Bond & Janessa Mason
- 2014: Jason Newton
- 2013: John Bullock
- 2012: Megan Seiling & Jamie Myrah
Best Law Buddy Award: This award is presented to an upper-year student who has been an exceptional supporter of current first-year student(s).
- 2020: Cate White
- 2019: Farzad Balandari
- 2018: Grace Campell
- 2017: James Henry
- 2016: Erika Decker
- 2015: Billy Alvaro
- 2014: Tamara Navaratnam & Hanna Davis
- 2013: Siddharth Akali & Parm Lalli
- 2012: Kelly Farish
#uvicdifference Award: This award is presented to a student that exemplified the UVic difference this year in all its shapes and forms.
- 2020: Shayla Praud, Ray Lin and Camille Malone
- 2019: Emily Beggs, Craig McCue and Rigel Tessmann
- 2018: Keenan Miller
- 2017: Sarah Chaster
Scales of Justice Award: This award is presented to the student who best demonstrated a balanced approach to a legal education.
- 2020: Lisa Harris
- 2019: Sheyenne Spence and Matt Stuckenberg
- 2018: Kayla Cheeke
- 2017: William McClary
Res Gestae Award: This award is presented to the student who made the best post on social media this year and contributed to the hilarity of law school in a positive way.
- 2020: Tori Craig and Laura Bullock
- 2019: Olivia Nicolaides’ Memes
- 2018: #chickengate
- 2017: Enrique Montes